Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Going back to the braids until June


The braids are back



 I flat-ironed my hair in Febuary on the 6th to be more exact. It came out nice but after nine days the game was over and I had to wash it. I just can't go to long without washing my hair. Going nine days was a miracle

As some might know my hair was around 16 inches on the longest point of my strands. Its grown a little bit since that video in January. I mentioned recently in a video, how I noticed a lot of naturals don't know how to have fun with their hair.  I understand our hair is fragile and easy to break but that doesn't mean we can't do anything to our hair. I dyed my hair and all of a sudden its the end of the world or if I straighten it. I'm going to be bald. Ok, I don't know everything and that is for dang sure. I would say, I don't know anything and that I feel like a newb at this hair care stuff.... but I'm not going to live in fear everyday that my hair Is going to fall out or break off. I guess the fear has been inbreed In our culture.  To the textured culture hair is our beauty. If you have beautiful hair than your one step closer to the ideal women. 

When I first got into hair care I didn't know that being a natural came with all this baggage and Compartmentalization. If your wounder what that means it is an unconscious psychological defense mechanism used to avoid cognitive dissonance, or the mental discomfort and anxiety caused by a person having conflicting values, cognitions, emotions, beliefs, etc. within themselves. Compartmentalization allows these conflicting ideas to co-exist by inhibiting direct or explicit acknowledgement and interaction between separate compartmentalized self states. This is the best way I can explain naturals.

list of naturals:
1.Those who use only natural products
2.Those who use only ph balanced water to clean their hair and raw organic products to moisturize
3. Those who use synthetic hair care products (petroleum, cones,  sulphates and ETC..)
4. Those who dye their hair
5. Those who use heat and those who don't
6. Those who comb and brush their hair to those who choose to dread.
The list could go on. 
 There is all this division and stress that is created from something that is supposed to be a symbol of uniqueness, freedom and beauty. I guess it just wishful thinking when I say. Being natural is being who you are to the best of your ability. 

"RANT OVER"

So while my hair was out of braids for the Month and a half,I wore buns everyday. Similar to the ones below. It was really fun coming up with different bun styles. During this time, it was just easier to bun my hair than to do braid-outs.  The only issue I had was the fact that I couldn't wash my hair as often. I had to make a decision. Wash my hair more often or deal with a itchy scalp. 











So you know I slapped those braids right back in my hair.  It seems like braids is the best style for me and I just love them for the versatility they give me. I can wash them as often as I like.



  Life doesn't get any better than this, clean hair and scalp. In the above pictures is my curly pattern after multiple heat sessions. I have tons and tons of waves and it looks like I have a Jerry curl...lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment